Market Outlook & Analysis
This commentary is the analysis and opinion of Via Nova Investment Management LLC.
“Raising your portfolio to a higher standard.”
ESG Focus: Wells Fargo in the “Penalty Box”
Wells Fargo’s actions were a clear violation of that trust. Investors rely on companies to generate and report accurate and legitimate income. The performance of the Wells Fargo stock price relative to its banking peers since the beginning of this scandal demonstrates the investing risks associated with poor management practices, and how investors paid the price. Wells Fargo’s governance issues has put the company in the “Penalty Box."
Weekly update 2/9/18
- Another rocky week sent the S&P 500 briefly into correction territory.
- A light week of economic news.
- Q4 earnings reports continued to exceed expectations
- Policy: A government shutdown ended before it began thanks to a two-year budget deal.
- Coming Week: Trump's budget proposal, more earnings reports, inflation data and retail sales for January.
Stocks Continued their Impressive Performance in January: Can it Last?
We are positive on the outlook for both, but we observe that the rapid market advance in recent months raises the probability of a long-delayed market correction. There are risks to any forecast, but given the favorable fundamentals, we see any market pullback as temporary and therefore a possible buying opportunity.